It has been said that I am the Queen of Procrastination. My usual method is baking. However, today I believe I may have surpassed myself by then blogging about said baking! On the procrastination menu today - brownies!
Apricot and Almond Brownies - adapted from Gifts from the Kitchen.
2-3 tablespoons of Marsala or brandy (I used Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum)
125g dried apricots, chopped (I only had an 80g snack packet!)
150g blanched almonds (I used 100g, skins on)
150g unsalted butter, diced
225g plain chocolate
4 large eggs
300g soft brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
125g plain flour
- Preheat oven to 170C/325F/gas mark 3 and line a tin with baking parchment. (The book suggests using a 23cm square tin).
- Warm the Marsala/brandy/rum in a small pan and add the apricots and leave to soak for 10 minutes. Toast the almonds for 5 minutes and once cool, roughly chop.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together and leave to cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs and sugar. Add vanilla and melted chocolate. Sift in flour and fold in the nuts and apricots.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 25 minutes or until the top has formed a crust but the underneath is still soft (mine needed a little longer).
- Cool in the tin and then cut into squares.